Computer Graphics History - Misc. Notes
Please send me e-mail with
links, photos, corrections, etc.- my memory is fuzzy!
THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS!
Last update - 28 May 2023
Nick England, Chapel Hill NC, USA
So far I have concentrated on U.S. development simply because I am most
familiar with it.
Please send links or info on early development work and products elsewhere.
Some other computer graphics/imaging history references - in no particular order.
- "Graphics Remembrances" - multiple authors, IEEE Annals of
the History of Computing (Volume: 20 , Issue: 2 ,
Apr-Jun 1998) - link
- IEEE Tutorial: Computer Graphics Hardware : Image Generation and Display
1988, Hassan K. Reghbati, Anson Y. C. Lee, IEEE Computer Society Press - amazon
- Ted Nelson's files - graphics
- 1966 Computer Display Review - Adams Associates - PDF
- 1970 Computer Display Review - Adams Associates - PDF
- 1976 Image Processing System Survey
(C.L. Patterson, Aerospace Corp.)
- 1976 Taxonomy of Display Processors - reference
- 1980 Graphics System Survey (
Pete Atherton, GE)
- David Weisberg's CAD history that includes lots
of info on early computer graphics history
- Carl Machover collection at Charles Babbage Institute - see Exploring
The Archives on page 13
- Carl Machover (1967) "Graphic CRT Terminals: Characteristics of
Commonly Available Equipment"- PDF
- Carl Machover (1968) "State of the Computer Graphics Art in the
United States" - PDF
- Carl Machover (1969) Computer Graphics in the United States. In: Parslow
R.D., Prowse R.W., Green R.E. (eds) Computer Graphics. Springer, Boston, MA reference
- Carl Machover (1972) "Computer Graphics Terminals - A Backward
Look" - PDF
- Carl Machover (1986) A New Generation of Hardware. In: Enderle G., Grave M.,
Lillehagen F. (eds) Advances in Computer Graphics I. EurographicSeminars
(Tutorials and Perspectives in Computer Graphics). Springer, Berlin,
Heidelberg - reference
- Carl Machover "A Brief Personal History of Computer Graphics"
- Carl Machover interview - transcript
- Wayne Carlson (OSU) review of hardware
- Wayne Carlson History Course
- Jon Peddie - "History of Visual Magic in Computers" -
- Terrence Masson "CG 101, A Computer Graphics Industry Reference"
(chapter 8 - historically significant companies) http://www.cg101.com/cg101.com.html
- Alvy Ray Smith - A
Biography of the Pixel
- Norman I. Badler and Ingrid Carlbom, "The Computer
Graphics Scene in the United States", EUROGRAPHICS '84. Proceedings
of the European Graphics Conference and Exhibition , 185-200. September
1985. - pdf
- Badler N.I., Carlbom I. (1986) Overview of Raster Graphics Hardware. In:
Enderle G., Grave M., Lillehagen F. (eds) Advances in Computer Graphics I.
EurographicSeminars (Tutorials and Perspectives in Computer Graphics).
Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg - reference
- W. Myers, "Staking Out the Graphics Display Pipeline," in IEEE
Computer Graphics and Applications, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 60-65, July
doi: 10.1109/MCG.1984.275904 - reference
- W. M. Newman, Trends in Graphic Display Design, IEEE Transactions on
Computers, v.25 n.12, p.1321-1325, December 1976 - reference
- Henry Fuchs, VLSI in Graphics Systems - PDF
- 1969 "Selected Bibliography of On-Line Visual Displays and Their
Applications" - PDF
- Nelson H. F.
Beebe's Bibliographies of many graphics magazines and journals
- "S Klein Computer Graphics Newsletter" (Stanley Klein)
- "The Anderson Report" - newsletter (Ken Anderson) - July
- "Real Time Graphics" newsletter (Roy Latham)
- IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications magazine
- SPIE conferences on Image Processing Systems
- Many cardboard boxes of stuff I have in storage!
- Note 1 - get access to SIGGRAPH publications in the ACM Digital Library by joining
- Note 2 - papers for the first SIGGRAPH conference (Boulder, 1974) were not
published by ACM.
The papers were published in the first two issues of Computers &